Chiropractor in Vaughan gives advice for conquering stress during the holiday season.
Maple, ON – Stress seems to be an ongoing problem for many people throughout the year. However, when it comes to the Christmas and holiday season, it feels like the stress builds up by 10 times. The holiday season is meant to be a festive time to enjoy with family and friends. Make this year’s holiday season more festive, more cheerful and less stressful with these five stress relief tips.
5 Stress Relief Tips For The Holidays
1. Get good quality sleep. People are more concerned about the amount of hours they sleep (quantity) versus the quality of sleep. Although you want to get a good 8 hours sleep a night, it’s way more important to be sure you sleep through your entire sleep cycles. Planning your bedtime and wakeup time around the natural sleep cycle will help your body rest better at night and recurperate from a stressfull day. The average human sleep cycle is 90 minutes. You go through several sleep cycles a night. So, if you complete 5 sleep cycles, that means you slept for 7.5 hours (7 hours and 30 minutes). If you complete 4 sleep cycles, that means you slept for 6 hours. People that have followed this tip have told me that they woke up feeling more refreshed and more rested in the morning. These numbers are used here as an illustration. It may be different for you. The key is to find out what your average sleep cycle is and plan your bedtime and wake up time such that you wake up at the end of you last sleep cycle.
2. Create Compelling Goals For Your Life. Many people are seeking for more meaning and more purpose in their life. Having a strong sense of purpose can help you overcome the daily stresses that tend to get your mood down. Here is what you can do…write out one BIG goal you want to accomplish in your lifetime. This will help give you a sense of direction and purpose. December is a perfect time for this exercise. Most people state New Resolutions but never commit to them and never accomplish them. Creating a big goal in life has more power especially when it is backed up with a promise to yourself of accomplishing it.
Also see: “Stress Impacts Your Health”
3. Mend Broken Relationships. For many people, stress comes from the negative emotions experienced from relationships. Our life exists in relationships with others. If there is something that just needs to be said to another person then take the time to forgive and complete that communication. Forgiveness is healing and also very stress-relieving.
4. Stretch Out Those Tight Musles. When stress builds up, you can physically feel the wieght of it on your neck, shoulder and back muscles. Taking 5-10 minutes a day to stretch out your tight muscles will help relieve all that stored tension in your achy muscles.
5. Chiropractic Care. Stress causes an overload of the sympathetic nervous system and a rush of stress hormones into your blood stream. One of the biggest benefits our patients tell us after having been under chiropractic care is that they are better able to handle their stress. Chiropractic corrects spinal misalignments which eases the tension and stress on the nervous system and this helps you adapt better to ongoing stress. A healthy spine and nervous system is essential for optimal health.
Stress can certainly have a negative impact on your health and quality of life. However, stress can be conquered. Start handling your stress better with the above 5 tips.
I would love to hear your comments. Please leave a comment below. How is stress impacting your life and what do you plan do about it?
Also, click on the Facebook Like button below to Like this article. Thank you.
Dr. Walter Salubro is a family wellness chiropractor who has been serving the Maple and Vaughan community for over 13 years. Dr. Salubro provides chiropractic care to people all age groups. He has completed many post-graduate courses in techniques applicable to both children and adults. In addition to offering specific spinal adjustments and posture corrective techniques, Dr. Salubro offers an extensive line-up of health and wellness workshops, exercise classes and a run-walk club to his patients.
Dr. Walter Salubro is dedicated to providing the highest quality chiropractic care for all of his patients. He is a 1999 graduate of the National College of Chiropractic and certified from the Academy of Chiropractic Family Practice and the Council on Chiropractic Pediatrics (C.A.C.C.P.). Dr. Walter Salubro is Webster Technique Certified, certified and recognized by the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association (ICPA). Dr. Salubro caters to the specialized care of infants and pregnant mothers.