An article by guest author, Dr. Dmitri Sokolov of Healthy Kids & Family Chiropractic in Markham, Ontario.
Chronic physical, chemical and emotional stress is the biggest contributor for developing serious conditions such as cardio-vascular diseases and cancer. Interestingly enough that those stressors are the same causes of postural dysfunctions, subluxation.
It is obvious to everyone that by observing posture we can very close estimate an individual health state. Think about it, how do you initially determine a person’s state just by looking at them? What denominator you are using? Their posture!
How do you know if person is angry? Their posture!
How do you know if person is tired? Their posture!
How do you know if person is upset? Their posture!
Frustrated? Their posture!
Sick? Their posture!
Stressed? Their posture!
Happy? Their posture!
Now you know why our parents and grandparents kept bugging us with the same statement “SIT STRAIGHT!” They never got tired saying it. Because they loved us and also because they knew, the better posture we have the more stress we can tolerate, we get less tired and ultimately we get healthier.
Now let’s have look at science. Windsor et. al. studied 50 randomly and causation of their death and relation to the spine and nervous system. The result was astonishing. Scientists discovered 139 diseased organs that killed those people and 138 had direct correlation with the spinal misalignment and nervous system in the spine. 99.5 % of those randomly chosen people had chronic condition and abnormal posture and spinal misalignment.
Since there is a very tight relationship between brain and the body, posture and spinal realignment is the key element to turn stress from causing the disease to cause healthy adaptation and healing.
It is amazing that how many people report that their stress perception and reaction to stress improved after visiting chiropractor and being adjusted for the purpose of correction of their posture.
The Journal of Vertebral Subluxation Research published a study that showed that over 70% of the participants showed a “marked improvement” in depression with chiropractic care. 70% it is actually better than any prescribed antidepressant.
How does the adjustment of the spine help depression and stress?
It is very simple and logical. Adjustment removes interference form the nervous system, that’s created by postural shift of your spine, from stress, on your brain, brain stem and spinal cord, and it allows the body to respond to stress better and process the external environment in the positive way. A well aligned person perceives our hostile, highly stress social environment in a friendly way and produces a positive health response.
Here are some stress prevention strategies:
You can increase your resistance to stress by strengthening your physical health.
- Discover and Get Your Regular Structural/Functional Chiropractic Care. Correct your spine and maintain your normal nervous system function through out your entire life. It is no different than your regular car maintenance care.
- Exercise regularly. Physical activity plays a key role in reducing and preventing the effects of stress. Make time for at least 30 minutes of exercise, three times per week. Nothing beats aerobic exercise for releasing pent-up stress and tension.
- Eat a healthy diet. Well-nourished bodies are better prepared to cope with stress, so be mindful of what you eat. Start your day right with breakfast, and keep your energy up and your mind clear with balanced, nutritious meals throughout the day.
- Reduce caffeine and sugar. The temporary “highs” caffeine and sugar provide often end in with a crash in mood and energy. By reducing the amount of coffee, soft drinks, chocolate, and sugar snacks in your diet, you’ll feel more relaxed and you’ll sleep better.
- Avoid alcohol, cigarettes, and drugs. Self-medicating with alcohol or drugs may provide an easy escape from stress, but the relief is only temporary. Don’t avoid or mask the issue at hand; deal with problems head on and with a clear mind.
- Get enough sleep. Adequate sleep fuels your mind, as well as your body. Feeling tired will increase your stress because it may cause you to think irrationally.
So, the question is “Are you feeling stressed out?” If you are, than we recommend you to visit your local chiropractor and get your posture measured and truly know how reconstructive chiropractic care might help.
Beyond stress, there are other countless conditions that chiropractic care may help, such as insomnia, indigestion, pains, headaches etc. Just that might drop your stress down and transform and even save your life.
Have a stress free – subluxation free life.
Dr. Dmitri Sokolov is a pediatric and family chiropractor at Healthy Kids & Family Chiropractic in Markham, Ontario. Dr. Sokolov recommends chiropractic care as early as possible and has special training in care for pregnant and children. He has completed multiple post-graduate courses and training that allow him to care for all age groups as well. Dr Sokolov specializes in spinal reconstructive care and uses the top notch techniques and technologies to serve people from his heart.
Dr. Sokolov graduated from CanadianMemorialChiropracticCollege with Clinical Honors and Magna Cum Laude status. He also holds multiple awards including “Worldwide Leader in Health Care” in 2012 recognized the International Association of Chiropractors. Dr. Dmitri Sokolov is certified in In-Utero Constraint Technique, Webster Technique, by the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association (ICPA) and serves GTA for over last 5 years.