When it comes to eating and nutrition, keep it simple. You have absolute choice over what you eat and how much you eat. Keep in mind that health problems such as heart disease, diabetes, cancer, obesity, just to name a few, have been linked to poor dietary intake. Following simple eating habits can help you go a long way towards health and prevention. Many chiropractors give nutritional advice to their patients. Your family wellness chiropractor can help review your current diet and give you recommendations for changes if necessary.
Here are some suggestions you can start with …
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. Vegetables eaten raw or lightly cooked.
- Limit or avoid processed foods. Avoid fast food, junk food.
- Reduce your sugar intake. (Read food labels and you will be surprised how much sugar you will find in most packaged foods and drinks. That includes corn syrup and glucose-fructose.)
- Limit meat intake or other animal products (eg. dairy).
- Have more fibre in your diet (eg. whole grain breads, pastas, cereals, and vegetables).
- Eat 6 smaller meals per day versus 3 larger meals.
- Watch what foods you are combing. For instance:
- Vegetables with starch/carbs – good.
- Vegetables with protein – good.
- Vegetables with fruits – poor.
- Protein with starch/carbs – poor.
- Starch/carbs with fruit – poor.
- Fruits should be eaten alone or at least 2 hours after a meal.
Remember, food provides you with essential nutrients and fuel to keep your body running well. Be mindful of what you are eating.